When I started writing my Blog, the very first question which i asked myself was, where should I start writing my Blog??
There are few points which everyone should ask themselves:
- Whether you should go for a hosted platform like wordpress.com or use some one click installation on cloud platforms like Digital Ocean.
- If using hosted platform, then do i have to pay, to use additional features like custom domain, which is required for branding Blog.
If you have considered using wordpress.com, then maybe you should take a look at cost associated with different plans.
Can you actually run a WordPress blog with custom domain and 25GB storage free for 1 year??
Setting up the WordPress Blog
Before we move forward, let’s sign up for the account , using below link you will get a credit of $50, which will be sufficient to run your WordPress blog for at least 10 months, without any additional payment.
Click on this link -> Sign-up
Enter your email address & password and click on Create Account
Once you’ve created your account, you will be redirected to the Billing screen, which will show the Current Free credit amount as $50.
To start using the platform, you have to just link your credit card without adding any amount using it, Add your credit card details & check on I just want to link my credit card.
Once we’ve linked and verified our credit card, we can start deploying our first WordPress Blog.
After clicking on Deploy App button, you will be redirected to next page for selecting the configuration. There will be few options to choose from under each category.
- Server Location, select the location which is nearest to your location, for me it was Asia Region.
- Server type , in our case WordPress is selected by default.
- Server Size, you can choose whatever size you want, but to start with we will choose $5 / month price.
With same monthly pricing on WordPress.com, only 6GB storage is available, so with 25GB Storage, we are in a much better situation.
- Additional configuration, there are more advanced configuration options which can be skipped for start.
- Server Hostname & Label, this configuration will define identifier for our blog on platform. For example i used WordPress-blog as hostname, you can use any identifier of your choice.
Now you’ve configured settings, lets deploy your WordPress blog. Below Header will give you a overview of number of Servers & associated cost.
Click on Deploy Now.
It will take a while before your instance gets ready. After your instance is ready, you can see Running status for Blog instance.
Access WordPress Admin Portal
Click on Manage Link for WordPress-blog instance, refer above image. Manage link will redirect you to the overview page of WordPress instance.
On overview page you can see the information to access your instance and other information like Current Charges and other advanced information like Storage, CPU etc.
Check out the Application information block to open URL, which is something like
Once you will try to access the IP, Browser will complaint about security that connection is not Private. Lets skip this by clicking on Advanced Button and then Click on Proceed to IP(unsafe)
You will be prompted to Sign in to the portal, use user name and password from previous Application information block
- Select the language in which you want to configure your WordPress website & click on Continue.
- Next page we have to fill information about website title, user name etc, fill in the details and click on Install WordPress.
- Either copy the generated password or set your own password.
- Next you will be redirected to wp-admin login page, login using username & password which you configured in last step.
Login in to your WordPress admin portal and now you can start creating your Awesome WordPress Website. Skip the security warning once again.
To access your website you can use the above admin URL without wp-admin, something like https://IP-address
Reference docs for more information
Let us know if you face any issues and want to add any more features to your WordPress instance!!